There is so little time left until the end of the year and most online businesses are focused on Christmas Marketing Campaigns as they should do. But when all is done, they will ask themselves “what we should do for the next year?”. That is a question that all online businesses and companies ask themselves at the end of the year. After all Christmas campaigns and all the glitter and fun is done, they start thinking of the future steps they have to do to stay on top. And that is a healthy strategy and way of doing things. So what could be wiser than to include in your SEO campaign some tips that dictate the SEO trends for the next year. There you will find 13 trends that will help you build a stronger SEO campaign for 2017.
Businesses in online are like a big play where your marketing campaigns are the main character and you are the director. But the success don’t come if you don’t have something good for the audience. You have to make them come at your next representation. You want a big audience because, let’s face it, the ROI is important for you and your business. Therefore, you must give them quality. To give them quality you need a good script, so that I will make a plan for a stronger SEO campaign for 2017 that you must follow.
Why do you need to build a stronger SEO campaign for 2017?
- SEO is an investment, not a cost;
- SEO will make your business famous – like the best play where audience want to come over and over again to see it;
- It’s a mandatory part of your marketing mix;
- SEO touches the heart of your business;
- Search Engine Optimization builds trust and credibility;
- It’s a long-term strategy;
- SEO helps you attract relevant traffic – the relevant audience you want to have it on your website;
- It’s an important part of marketing mix that can be measured – you can see the results;
- SEO has a high conversion potential.
If these reasons don’t convince you, think about the amount of money that you can get after you have a bigger audience than this year. Think about the ROI and all by investing not so much money. Any businessman in the world wants to invest – if possible – little money and to get in return a bigger income. Well, that is possible by using SEO. And because SEO is a part of a Marketing Campaign, it’s obvious that trends in an SEO campaign change from year to year. So that, you have to pay attention to any new trend that shows up.
I prepared 13 trends for 2017 and I will describe each of them and what can offer to you.
Let’s start out SEO campaign for the next year!
As we all know, SEO means Search Engine Optimization. You have to improve and set the next year trends in your SEO campaign to be the superstar on the first page of Google. Let’s see some statistics related to Search Engine Optimization to understand better the benefits of this part of marketing campaigns.
HubSpot made the ultimate list of marketing statistics that shows us the evolution of CRO, Local SEO, Ecommerce, Mobile Search, Voice Search and Organic Search as reasons to use a stronger SEO campaign:
- Only about 22% of businesses are satisfied with their conversion rates. (Econsultancy, 2016)
- The first position on Google search results on desktop has a 34.36% clickthrough rate. (Advanced Web Ranking, 2015)
- The first position on Google search results on mobile has a 31.35% clickthrough rate. (Advanced Web Ranking, 2015)
- For every $92 spent acquiring customers, only $1 is spent converting them. (Econsultancy, 2016)
- More Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers in 10 countries including the U.S. and Japan. (Google, 2015)
- 49% of B2B researchers who use their mobile devices for product research do so while at work. (Google, 2015)
- 65% of smartphone users agree that when conducting a search on their smartphones, they look for the most relevant information regardless of the company providing the information. (Google, 2015)
- 51% of smartphone users have discovered a new company or product when conducting a search on their smartphone. (Google, 2015)
- 48% of consumers start mobile research with a search engine. (Smart Insights, 2016)
- 26% of consumers start mobile research with a branded app. (Smart Insights, 2016)
- Google gets over 100 billion searches a month. (Mashable, 2015)
- The average Google first page result contains 1,890 words. (Backlinko, 2016)
- 50% of search queries are four words or longer. (WordStream, 2016)
- 66% of marketers say improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 71% of B2B researchers start their research with a generic search. (Google, 2015)
- B2B researchers do 12 searches on average prior to engaging on a specific brand’s site. (Google, 2014)
- 72% of marketers say relevant content creation was the most effective SEO tactic. (Ascend2, 2015)
- 40% of marketers say the most challenging obstacle to search engine optimization success is changing search algorithms. (Ascend2, 2015)
- 72% of consumers who did a local search visited a store within five miles. (WordStream, 2016)
- 30% of mobile searches are related to a location. (Google, 2016)
- 28% of searches for something nearby result in a purchase. (Google, 2016)
- Local searches lead 50% of mobile visitors to visit stores within one day. (Google, 2014)
- 78% of local-mobile searches result in offline purchases. (Search Engine Land, 2014)
- 19% of people use Siri at least daily. (HubSpot, 2015)
- 37% use Siri, 23% use Microsoft’s Cortana AI, and 19% use Amazon’s Alexa AI at least monthly. (HubSpot, 2015)
- 20% of search queries on Google’s mobile app and on Android devices are voice searches. (Search Engine Land, 2016)
- 60% of smartphone users who use voice search have begun using it within the past year, with 41% of survey respondents having only begun to use voice search in the past six months. (Search Engine Land, 2015)
- 43% of mobile voice search users do so because they say it is quicker than going on a website or using an app. (Statista, 2015)
- 21% of mobile voice search users do so because they say they don’t like typing on their mobile. (Statista, 2015)
- 81% of shoppers conduct online research before making big purchases. (Retailing Today, 2014)
- 44% of people go directly to Amazon to start their product searches, compared to 34% who use search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo to search for products. (Marketing Land, 2015)
- Mobile commerce makes up 30% of all U.S. eCommerce. (Internet Retailer, 2015)
How to build a stronger SEO campaign for 2017?
- Check indexing;
- Optimize crawl budget;
- Important sources must be crawlable;
- Audit on internal links;
- Get mobile friendlier;
- Test and improve your page speed;
- More rich answers and snippets;
- Cross-channel marketing;
- Voice search;
- Increase in quality content and density;
- User experience as a part of SEO;
- Work your personal branding;
- Review your sitemap.
The first trend of an SEO campaign for 2017 is to check indexing. If there are some people that don’t know what indexing and index mean, there is the definition:
As we could find on SearchMetrics Glossary, an index is another database that search engine uses. It contains information on all the websites the search engine was able to find. If a website is not in a search engine’s index, users will not be able to find it using that search engine. Search engines regularly update their indexes. The number of your website’s pages will be indexed by search engine. To keep your website on top, you have to check indexing and the number of pages should be largely proportional to the total number of the pages on your website.
If there are pages that you don’t want to be indexed it’s ok, but checking index allows you to see if there is a big gap between pages indexed by search engines and the ones that are not. Review your disallowed pages and make sure there is a proportionality.
To boost your SEO campaign for 2017, you need to check indexing, therefore you can use this tool.
Optimize crawl budget
Crawling happens when the search engine collects content from all websites and stores it in a databank. All external and internal links to the website are stored by crawlers. Crawlers captures and index every website that has links to at least one other website, according to the definition you can find on Search Metrics.
A crawl budget represents the number of a website’s pages that search engines crawl during a period of time.
You can check your crawl budget using Google Search Console.
Once you found out what your crawl budget is you must decide if you want to increase it or not. I suggest you increase your crawl budget if you really want to have a better SEO campaign for 2017 if you had this year. Always, better is better!
Don’t think that you can grow your backlink profile overnight. Nothing good happens overnight.
There are 4 tips for optimizing your crawl budget:
1 – Get rid of duplicate pages;
2 – No SEO value pages should not be indexed;
3 – Broken links are not good, therefore you must fix them;
4 – Your sitemap should be kept up to date.
Important sources must be crawlable
A stronger SEO campaign for 2017 demands that you should have on your website sources that can be crawlable. It’s critical because if your CSS files are closed from indexing, Google won’t see pages as they should look for your readers.
Audit on internal links
1 – Click depth – you should keep you visitors and readers as close as possible, don’t make your readers get lost in your website’s pages;
2 – Broken links – as I mentioned before if you find some broken links, you have to fix the;
3 – Redirected links – don’t confuse your visitors and readers by using so much redirected links. They will think that your website is hard to read and they will see how much time they spent to find some information, but they faced the big number of redirected links;
4 – Orphan pages – pages that are not linked to other pages from the website are useless. If you want a stronger SEO campaign for 2017 don’t rely on orphan pages. They can’t be found by search engines, so that you have to fix the orphan pages.
Get mobile friendlier
If we check the statistics presented in the introduction of his article, you will see that more and more people choose to navigate on Internet using a mobile phone. So that, Google is prepared for indexing the mobile version of websites instead of its desktop version. That means that your website’s pages should rank in both mobile and desktop search results.
What you can do?
1 – Test your pages for mobile with Mobile Friendly Test tool;
2 – A comprehensive audit of your mobile site is necessary;
3 – Track mobile rankings.
Test and improve your page speed
Page speed helps your website to rank on Google. That is the new trend for the next year and the steps you should follow for a stronger SEO campaign for 2017. You can use PageSpeed Insights Tool to test your page speed.
More rich answers and snippets
Structured data markup or schema markup should help you get more rich answers and snippets. Structured data markup is responsible for assisting search engines in analyzing and understanding website content. Then the info is displayed in a friendly way for users and readers.
Users want to have a quick access to useful information, so that you have to implement structured data markup if you want a stronger SEO campaign for 2017.
An SEO campaign for 2017 should not be built only for one channel if you want to market your brand. You should use several channels to do that, but in an integrated way. The main goal of Cross-channel marketing is to make a brand to be visible on various devices and platforms that are used by the readers.
People have started to use more and more voice search. Instead of typing something, they talk to the search engine as they would talk to a real person asking for indications. The goal of voice search for an SEO campaign for 2017 is to go above voice recognition and elaborate into voice understanding.
There are some things to take into consideration id we talk about voice search:
- previous searches;
- location-based context;
- context based on frequently used apps;
- personalized information;
- keyword research based on spoken queries.
And for sure, we will see an evolution of long tail keyword because they are already used in people searches on search engines.
Increase in quality content and density
Content density can be defined as content’s “per word value”. Therefore, even if your text have many many words, but they don’t have value, you should read again and focus more on density and quality information.
2017 will be the year where there will be a rise of content density.
User experience as part of SEO
The combination between UX and SEO could be named UEO – User Experience Optimization. If you want for your website to be ranked by Google and you want to be on the first page, you need to invest in User Experience and a stronger SEO campaign for 2017. Improve the images with better ones or use a free graphic, flyer maker tool available online to quickly get an enhance on your users experience.
You should take care of:
1 – Site’s speed;
2 – Navigation;
3 – responsive and friendly design and, maybe, a brand new hosting.
Work your personal branding
Your website depends so much on a personal branding because it is like a secret weapon of the online world, hence you have you build a strong personal brand. Readers will learn your style and will know how to differentiate you from the others, so that they will come on your website just because you have a strong personal brand. Here you will find an article that can help you work your personal branding.
Review your sitemap
The sitemap of your website tells to the search engine how your site is organized and what structure it has. As a result, search engine optimization will discover new content faster. Check these three features to see if your sitemap needs to be improved or not:
1 – Freshness;
2 – Cleanness;
3 – Size.
You might like to read also our article: Why use Data Mining Services for your online business .